Tuesday, February 2, 2010

*{Q.&.A}* Photo Questions Answered

So I finally decided to post some Q.&.A posts to answer some of your photo questions...after receiving many of the same questions through multiple emails, I figured it was best to just post those answers here for all to see! So if you have any photo questions or something you're dying to know, either leave a comment here or email me and I will keep that question for another Q.&.A blog session! Now I am NOT claiming to be a know-it-all about photography by any means; however, it's also not a secret that I know enough to hold my own!! So please don't be shy...guaranteed if you have that question, there is someone else out there wanting to ask the same thing.

SO...here we go with the top 3 questions I receive:

::Q:: "I want to get into photography...did you go to school or how did you master the skill?"
::A:: Nope...no school! I actually went to college and majored in Business Admin with an emphasis in Marketing. So I guess it helps me on the business side of things, but it doesn't help me at all when taking pictures! I am self-taught. I spent a lot of time on photography forums...not necessarily communicating (yes, I lurked) primarily because there were some harsh people out there on the forums, and I didn't want any part of "that". However, there is some FABULOUS information out there on skills that photogs need starting out. So go read through some of those forums!.

And the number one thing that really helped launch my photography skills at the beginning was reading the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. This teaches you everything you'd ever want to know about proper manual exposure. That way you can turn that flash off and relish in the gorgeous natural light that God gave us!! It is an amazing book...and for a visual learner like myself, it had images on each page, the settings he used, and why he chose those settings. It is a fabulous book and will teach you SO much!

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I'll even admit I set up a Cabbage Patch Doll near a window to practice back in my early days!! Whatever it takes, no excuses!

::Q:: "What lens do you use?"
::A:: My 50mm 1.4 is typically my go-to-lens. However, I've been shooting families a lot more with the 28 1.8 because I LOVE the wide angle of it. It tells more of a story...I love being able to get close to a baby cooing, yet you can still see mom and dad in the back laughing at their baby making the sounds. To me, the picture is seeing mom and dad in the background responding to their child, not necessarily the kid that is front and center in the picture! And for a portrait type lens, I've been using my 85 1.8 a lot more as well (just spotted a trend...I'm moving away from my 50mm)! I love having the distance from the client where they can interact with some privacy, and the 85mm is just yummy when shooting, especially around 2.0 aperture! And my goal this year is to replace my 28mm with possibly the 35mm 1.4.

::Q:: "What camera do you recommend?"
::A:: I'm sure Nikon is just as good as Canon (that's enough to spark WWIII in some parts of the photo world) so either one is great! But I recommend Canon because it's WHAT I KNOW!~ I shoot with a Canon 5D and a 30D as my back-up camera. They have been wonderful cameras for me. However, if you are just wanting an amateur camera and you are not planning on becoming a professional, I'd recommend just picking up a Canon Rebel. It is a great camera for a mom or dad to sport! If you are wanting to be a professional, I'd recommend the 5D...it handles low-light amazingly well and has been a gem for me.

AND ONE LAST QUESTION THAT I WISH SOMEONE TOLD ME THE ANSWER TO BACK IN THE DAY...
::Q:: "What is the best way to meter for taking a portrait?"
::A:: When I started out, I'd use my in-camera meter to get a proper exposure. I'd get it the little tick mark centered on the meter and CLICK. I didn't take into account either the dark background behind the person or the bright sky or beach behind the person, which changes A LOT in the metering world...MISTAKE! Your camera is taking into account everything you see inside your viewfinder when metering, so a bright sky or a dark background can really throw the metering off for the client's skin. SO...as some of my clients can attest to, I get-up nice and close and TELL them I'm going to get all-up in their personal space for a second so I can meter their skin. After a few laughs, I look through the viewfinder so ALL I CAN SEE IS THEIR SKIN. After I find that it is properly exposed with my in-camera meter, I step back to where I want to be to take the picture. Now, at this point, your camera will tell you that you are ALL WRONG and that you are either seriously over-exposed or possibly under-exposed. IGNORE IT! Because you know you just metered for the skin...and that is the most important element in the photo. Take the picture! Now cheat--look at the back of your LCD...see what it looks like (don't rely on it necessarily, but it will give you a good indication of where you are at...if you want to be technical and see if you really nailed it, look at your histogram). After peeking at the back of my camera, I will adjust slightly from there depending on what my histogram is telling me and what my LCD screen looks like. Just keep in mind, when your lighting changes...or a cloud comes through and blocks the sun, your exposure is changing as well!

NOW, this may mean that if you are at the beach, your beach may be blown a bit, etc. I personally don't care! Yes, I'm not an idiot, I see it's blown some. But I don't care because the moment I captured between the couple or family is what I was after. And I **hate**flash; I'm a natural light junkie. So I am not about to do the whole expose for the background and then throw a flash on my camera for the people....BLAH ::insert vomit bag:: That is just my opinion...my blog, my opinion. Some people are great working the flash...flash is just not my thing. I love the dimensions that natural light gives to the subjects. It just looks so real and natural to me that I don't want to throw a frying pan of light at their gorgeous faces! And at this point, I've totally lost you...haven't I?!

SO! Enough lecturing for now!! If you have any questions AT ALL about photo stuff...or even if you feel like asking me what my favorite type of ice cream is, ASK IT! I am more than willing to give back and help others along in their journey if I can.

And because blogs are just downright boring without a photo, here are a few quick shots I took of my kiddos when they were playing around at the beach! I had a shoot in La Jolla a couple of weeks ago and my fabulous hubby and little girls came along for the fun and played at the playground and ran around the beach while mommy worked....I.LOVE.MY.JOB! Here are a few for ya...

Itsy Bitsy LOVES to chase seagulls...she's loved it since she started walking, and it never gets old or dull!

And as you can see, Little Miss Sunshine in the background could care less about pictures...she just wanted to splash in the water as much as possible. I don't blame her!
Until Next Time...
-m

15 comments:

Anda said...

You're awesome. And I meter for my subject exactly the same way :) I prefer blown skies -- I like white.
xoxo.

Anonymous said...

When you say you get up close and meter for your clients skin, what exactly do you mean? I will admit that I don't know quite how to read the histogram on my camera yet (Rebel XT) and I rely - probably too much - on my LCD display's image. Are you looking to get a specific histogram reading to know the metering is correct?

Michelle O said...

Hey Lea! Thanks for asking...What I mean is I have my camera up to my eye so I can look through the viewfinder and I get close enough to my subject that just their face is in my viewfinder when I'm looking through it (eliminating all background from behind them). Then while looking at just their face, I adjust my SS so my in-camera meter is at the "zero" (middle point) of the meter. BE CAREFUL TO NOT LET YOUR SHUTTER SPEED GET TOO LOW! I don't like to bring my SS below 125 or then you typically have to worry about camera shake.

So once the in camera meter says I am in the middle at zero (saying I'm not over exposed or under exposed) I then step back to where I want to be while taking the picture. Now that I've stepped back, I am letting the background into my viewfinder and my in-camera meter is going to be screaming at me that it is not at zero in the middle anymore. IGNORE IT! Take the picture. And then adjust from there. If the picture is too dark, try slowing your SS a bit. If the picture is way too bright, then bump up your SS so it is faster, therefore letting less light in! Hope this helps you out!! Let me know! As far as the histogram goes, you want all of the midtones displayed...so a nice "anthill" works. If you take a picture and the subjects are way dark, you will notice the histogram bunching up on the left saying you are way underexposed. If you take a pic and the people are really blown, you will see the histogram bunched up way to the right saying everything is overexposed. When your "anthill" gets bunched up on either side, you are missing all that information in the middle of the histogram that is crucial. I hope that helps....it is a basic rundown of histogram stuff. I'll include it on my next Q.&.A...thanks for your questions and stopping by!

Julie said...

Great post, Michelle! I've used the same metering technique since I started and it's totally worth the crazy looks I get from people wondering why I'm "all up in their grill."
Great photos of the girls!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
I love ur pics, infact I told my husband that I would love to shoot the way u do, capturing such personality in ur photos. My sis, Christina Lofquist, recommended ur blog to me and I am officially on ur tail :) I hope to learn from ur blog, cuz I dont even have a handle on shutter speed or aperture settings yet. So, keep posting and I will definately keep reading - Aimee

Michelle O said...

Hey Aimee!! Thanks so much for the kudos. If you are struggling with aperture, ss, iso relationships...GET THAT BOOK!!! That book is what really broke it down for me and I had my "a-ha" moment!! Let me know how it goes and I'm glad to see you visiting the blog! Don't be a stranger!!

McLain said...

Michelle - Awesome post! I've been practicing in manual A LOT! I'm still having some trouble with blur in the face, but I haven't been metering like you do...so you meter for the shutter speed? What about aperture (I think that's how I'd been doing it)? Also, do you adjust your focus points at all? By the way, I TOTALLY agree with you on flashes!
Thanks for the tips, I've learned A LOT from you! When are YOU going to do a workshop?! :)

McLain said...

Oh I also wanted to ask you for some editing tips (I think I want to POKE MY EYES out in that area!), but I don't want to overwhelm you...maybe next post? :)

Michelle O said...

McLain...Blur in the face...check and make sure your shutter speed is not below 125 or you may be dealing with camera shake. I always adjust the shutter speed because I want to pick my aperture and let it stay there. I like shooting around 2.0-2.8 so I set an ISO that will work for the light around me, put my aperture where I want it, and then adjust my shutter speed from there to give me proper exposure. Does that help answer your question? The first thing I think with blur in the face is a slow shutter speed. However, you could be too close to lock in a focus. Make sure your lens is not set on M for manual focus (lens this should NOT be set to manual focus...the camera should). And also, I use back button focus...I find it is easier to focus. Check your manual to see if you can set a custom function to utilize your back button focus. That might help you. And yes, I use my focal points as well....will have to post more on this another time. It is a huge lesson on it's own!

Let me know any specific editing questions you have!

{{HUGS}}

Trina Scanapico said...

Do you ever use zoom lenses? I mainly shoot w/ my 50mm 1.4 and 28 mm 2.8 so I'm not sure if I should go w/ the 105mm 2.8 macro which can be a portrait lens....or the 24-75 2.8 Nikon version...hmm...

Michelle O said...

Nope...I don't own any zooms. But the first two I'd buy would be the 24-70 or the 70-200.

Anonymous said...

WOW Michelle! McLain and I wanna be like you someday! Clainers is doing way better practicing in manual...I am so chicken! I want to learn SO bad and think I'll order that book. What would you recommend as far as editing? Photoshop or I heard about something else...Light something? What would you recommend? I know you have a Mac...do you do most of your editing on that or on Photoshop....I need something that can whiten teeth, etc! I have the Canon EOS Rebel XSI 450D....If I were to upgrade..should I just get a new lens? WHat would you recommend as my next upgrade step? WHen you do your workshop, McLain and I will be there with bells on. Hint...Hint...It would have to be when Quinn is not breastfeeding so I could come and BASK and LEARN for a whole day or something!!!! LOVE YOU and miss you...

Anonymous said...

I couldn't remember my login and password...so the anonymous person is Sara Field the forgetful.

foto-rolero54 said...

Very nice implementation, magnificent and beautiful shot!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michelle! I finally have so much down time I promised myself during my bed rest I would read up on your blog and research as much as I could on photography. I just have a Rebel, but love it (for me). Let me know what forums are good lurking grounds LOL xoxoxoxo

Mindy