Monday, June 21, 2010

*{Hangin' Tough NYC Style}*

So this past weekend, I got to play "thirty-something going on 13". As most of you know, I have been a fan of the New Kids on the Block since I was probably...12?! Actually, when I think back to my childhood, it either revolved around Barbies or New Kids on the Block. And once I found New Kids on the Block, the Barbies went in the box and it was all about Bop or Teen Beat Magazine. Don't judge...all you 30 year old girls know you were the same way! Seriously, those are the two things I think of...oh, and prancing around our cul-de-sac all dressed up with our neighbor Kimmie blasting Madonna's "Like a Virgin" when I had no clue what a virgin even was. But that is a whole other story!

So it seemed fitting after a 20+ year love affair, that I'd fly out the NYC when I heard they'd be playing at Radio City Music Hall! I mean SERIOUSLY, who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity for a weekend in NYC *and* the opportunity to relive their childhood for two hours!

So I jumped on a plane...all by myself...and flew to the Big Apple! I had a fabulous time staying at a friend's house in Brooklyn and she introduced me to everything NY. She taught me about bumping bumpers if necessary to get a parking spot and how NYers like to just shrug or flip a hand (sort of like they are brushing you off) instead of necessarily giving the finger! After my NY culture lesson, she set me loose to explore on my own! Off I went...

I finally had the chance to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. I guess you could say it was on my bucket list...one of those things I always hoped I'd be able to do one day. No particular reason...I just thought it would be cool! And it was. I walked across the bridge and jumped on the subway for the FIRST TIME EVER...ALONE! Lindsey, my friend, was great in guiding me..."just make sure it is the 4 of 5 train DOWNTOWN." And luckily I made it on my first try and didn't accidentally get on the uptown 4 or 5 train! And as I walked up the subway steps (and yes, I saw my first subway rat...blah), I was in the throws of Battery Park. I took a ferry out to Liberty Island and Ellis Island where I was able to trace some of my ancestors that came over from Switzerland. And then, I was off to hail a cab and go to this fabulous department store called Century 21.

Century 21...why don't you have a store in California?! OMGosh. Simply fabulous. And then I met up with Lindsey for dinner at Onieals...or better known to my fellow SATC fans as, SCOUTS! It was just like the show. And yes, I had a cosmo just for you!

And before I knew it, Saturday was upon us. We had fun scouting out the city and doing everything Rockafeller Center had to offer. We went to the Top of the Rock (you'll see some pics of that) and we did the NBC Studio Tour, which I recommend if you go to NYC. I even had the chance to sit in the audience seats at Saturday Night Live! And then that night, it was Radio City or bust!

The concert...SO.MUCH.FUN. The whole thing was pretty much amazing and different from concerts I've seen in the past. I loved the acoustical set of some of their old songs and then towards the end of that set, they started singing a Backstreet Boys song...WHAT?! Get this...the curtain raises and there are the Backstreet Boys! 2 for 1 night! It was a pretty cool surprise even for a girl that was never really into them. It was neat to see them come together for a couple of songs. And the place basically went ballistic. Then the New Kids played some great remixes of classic 80's songs and their own mixed in. That was pretty darn cool. And of course we ended the evening with Hangin' Tough and the place going wild and everyone swinging their arms in sync with each other. And for the first time ever, I was able to watch the actual performers during the concert and not watch the concert off the jumbo-tron! We were that close--YAY!

It was a fabulous weekend. And I feel so spoiled to have the experience of being able to fly across the country to see my favorite group from my childhood days! It was something I will never forget, and I feel so grateful. And THANK YOU to my wonderful husband that didn't hesitate once about the whole ordeal. When I asked him if I could go out there, his response was, "Why are you asking?? GO!" And he had fun playing Mr. Mom with the girls all weekend...from hiking trips to Toy Story 3, they had fun together while mama roamed the big city. So thank you Ryan for giving me this amazing experience! xoxo

And on that note, if they ever do a tour again, I hope to be there!

Hang Tough,
m

**ALL PHOTOS TAKEN WITH POINT AND SHOOT...I'm horrible at lugging "the beast" with me on vacation. So there isn't any artistic value...just sentimental value for me! And Lindsey, thank you for the concert pictures...I was too chicken to try to get a camera in. And I think I was the only one without a camera in the concert!

Me walking across the Brooklyn Bridge--CHECK!

Top of the Rock
Top of the Rock-I love the view of St. Patricks Cathedral from above.
Top of the Rock-Central Park
Oh, and it begins...WOO HOO!
Jordan--they've still got their moves, even at 40...lol

When Backstreet Boys joined them for a song...

Joey Joe and Jordan...
And yes, SOLD OUT with 30 year old women! I think I saw two guys!! lol
Finale-Hangin' Tough

4 comments:

jen said...

I'm so glad you had an awesome time! What a wonderful treat!

GladysJem said...

hahah oh michelle you are so cute. so fun to read and see your photos of your adventure :) i got excited when you said BSB because they were my new kids on the block. ahhh and SATC with the cosmo and scouts! SO J! Thanks for sharing your adventures! xoxox

Julie Renee said...

GAAAAHHHH! I am so incredibly in awe of your awesomeness right now! I actually had the opportunity to see NKOTB last year with my best friend, the same friend that I saw the New Kids with exactly 20 years before that! It was like this amazing little anniversary of our first concert! We spent the entire night screaming like lovesick 12 year olds, dumb grins plastered on our faces. Were there a ton of girls wearing 80's clothes? There were at our concert...it was bananas.

"LET'S GET THIS!"

Anda said...

omg, michelle -- reading this was the best! hahaha, i love it. NKOTB must be so happy that they now have a gazillion 30 year old women as fans as opposed to a gazillion kindergarterners! i'm loving the concert pics. xoxo.